Phyllis E Leavitt MA
When I became a psychotherapist I never imagined I would one day be entering a “political” arena. But the more I worked with widespread family dysfunction and its horrifying legacy of pain and violence, the more I realized that the greatest threat to our survival as a country and as a species is our declining mental health.
I knew that what we have learned about healing family violence can and must be applied to healing America. I felt compelled to leave the confines of my office and speak to a broader audience. I wanted to share my message of urgency to get ourselves on a path of healing, and a message of Hope that we can restore ourselves to Safety, Peace, and Love by healing the wounds we have suffered and the wounds we have inflicted that keep a cycle of violence going. I wrote America In Therapy for all those hungry for this message.
I graduated from Antioch University with a Masters Degree in Psychology and Counseling in 1989 and had a private practice for over 30 years, working extensively with abuse and dysfunctional family dynamics, their aftermath, and some of the most important elements for healing. My focus today is on my latest book. America In Therapy: A New Approach to Hope and Healing for a Nation in Crisis. I have also published two other books, A Light in the Darkness and Into the Fire, which chronicle my personal healing journey. I live with my husband in Taos, NM, and I am focused on writing and speaking.
Why Read This Book?
We are at a very precarious time in human history that calls for big ideas and even bigger solutions. While we have evolved to a place of incredible intelligence and mastery, we have also developed the means to obliterate ourselves and life as we know it. America in Therapy offers HOPE by sharing the LITTLE KNOWN SECRETS of how we got ourselves out on this ledge, what keeps us here, and what we all can do to restore us to safety. Looking deeply at the functioning of our nation— the Family of America— through the lens of all we know about healthy and dysfunctional family dynamics on the individual level, a whole new world of understanding and a path to healing opens up.
— What most of us don’t know is that the answers to our most urgent threats are not to be found in partisan political ideologies.
— What most people haven’t heard before is that the root cause of our most terrifying symptoms is the rapid decline in our collective mental health.
America in Therapy is the first book of its kind to speak to the urgency to bring our whole country to therapy. It sheds entirely new light on both the causes and cures for violence and war, from a uniquely psychological perspective. Told through client case studies, personal stories, historical commentary, and psychotherapy principles, America in Therapy seeks to challenge us all to think about the role we play in our national family. Whether the reader is a therapist, scientist, business owner, educator, student, politician, activist, philanthropist or parent, this book is the first to start the conversation on how we can heal our nation as a family. What part can we each play? What should we expect from those in power and our government?
America in Therapy offers HOPE because the same tools we use to heal individuals and families of dysfunction, neglect, and abuse — can be used to heal a community, a state, and a nation. The best of what psychology has to offer is known to help reduce and even eliminate conflict and restore connection and cooperation. America in Therapy is dedicated to bringing this healing agenda and the tools needed to implement it out of the therapy office and into national conversation.
Phyllis is brilliant! She genuinely cares about making the world a better place. America in Therapy is going to impact the world in a very profound way.
Desiree Maya, Professional Certified Coach (PCC)
Author and Host of The Born Unbreakable Podcast
Phyllis E Leavitt MA
America in Therapy: A New Approach to Hope and Healing for a Nation in Crisis
Published July 9,2024
Page Count: 211 pages
Interview Topics and Sample Questions
- What is the inspiration behind America in Therapy?
- Why was your personal as well as professional experience so important to the message of America in Therapy?
- Why do you think the message of America in Therapy is particularly relevant today?
- Why do you think our collective mental health is so vital to our survival?
- Why do you believe that understanding our psychology— what creates and what destroys our mental health— is the vital missing piece in national conversation?
- What are the specific signs and symptoms that our collective mental health is declining in America?
- Why do you believe partisan politics is part of the problem?
- How can the best psychology help us understand escalating divisiveness, hatred and violence?
- What have you learned as a psychotherapist that you believe the average citizen doesn’t know?
- Why do you think looking at America through a family therapy lens is critically important?
- How will an understanding of family systems help us heal hatred, violence and injustice in America?
- What are the healing principles of the best psychotherapy that are missing from present day policy, and particularly from conflict-resolution strategies?
- Why do you say we will find peace when we heal the gap between love and politics?
- What is the relationship between national mental health and personal and family mental health?
- Are there specific tools we can apply as a nation now to help us create greater safety, cooperation for mutual good, and reconnection with one another? Why are we not already using them?
- Many people feel helpless to enact change. Do you believe we can each play a meaningful role in healing America and how can we do that?
I would love to share the healing principles of America in Therapy with you.
Book a keynote speech with me now
To bring this new awareness to your loved ones, business, school, place of worship, colleagues and community.
Buy and share America in Therapy and spread the word that there are actually solutions we can all help implement today, no matter what our sphere of influence.
Contact me to be on your podcast or radio show or speak at your conference or other community event.
Be a part of the solution
“I am forever changed and grateful to Phyllis for the courage and love it took to write this book. The whole world needs these extraordinary answers to the dilemma we are in so we can create a loving world for everyone.”
Karin Grumstrup RN, NP, Poet
I was blown away by Phyllis’s knowledge and expertise in regard to today’s social and political climate. She articulated what has been on my mind better than I ever could.
Kendrick Grey, Host of The Dredloc Blerd Podcast
Up and coming actor and action star
Phyllis is an invaluable collaborator! She brings a unique and compassionate approach to her work that has positively impacted countless lives.
Beau Tiffany, Host of the Digital Voices Podcast
Owner of Home Care Coordinators
It is rare to find someone who is keenly knowledgeable, highly intuitive, as well as deeply compassionate for others. Phyllis is all three. Her gift of writing is powerful and inspiring. It is an honor to read her and know her.
Dr. Heather Browne, PsyD, LMFT, Author